Saturday

Previously, on 'The Internet' #3

My Twitter bio states: Reading the internet since 2001. NO SPOLIERS. Based on a joke (ok, not really) about what I'm currently reading, which is always and forever, the internet. I'm about 50% done guys! Previously, on 'The Internet', is a weekly listicle of what I eyeballed. Down to business.

One week down into the 6 year olds tonsil surgery recovery, and we're all still alive! And happy! And alive! After the stress of the first few days, being alive feels noteworthy. The grown ups of the house are slightly sleep deprived, but really, we expect to feel this way until 2034, so nbd.


  • Let's kick this week off with one of my top 5 favourite things in life - EMOJI. Grace Dent makes the excellent case for the femoji over at Stylist;03.
"When I want to symbolise myself – a real-life woman who rarely wears pink, or smiles coyly – I use the emoji of the man in a traditional Buckingham Palace-style bearskin. From a distance it looks like my beehive.And although I am thrilled and grateful for emoji’s long, ripe, phallic aubergine, as of yet there is nothing to hint towards what’s in my pants. Or, more crucially, what’s inside around 50% of the world’s knickers too." 
I did that thing you should never do when you read something you like, I searched the Internet to see what their people were saying about femoji. Oh guys *eyes lowered and sad mouth emoji* The thing about never reading the bottom half of the Internet is so depressingly true. The Cut has a particularly ridiculous response, and the comment underneath it about "being ladylike and keeping bodily functions to yourself" made me literally want to go hulk and smash my phone. Only for a second, I love you really phone.

  • In the spirit of talking about our bodies freely (and also to piss off internet commenters like the above) I steer you in the direction of this piece about the Vagina and its complex relationship to our brain. 
"Female sexual pleasure, rightly understood, is not just about sexuality, or just about pleasure. It serves, also, as a medium of female self-knowledge and hopefulness; female creativity and courage; female focus and initiative; female bliss and transcendence; and as medium of a sensibility that feels very much like freedom. To understand the vagina properly is to realize that it is not only coextensive with the female brain, but is also, essentially, part of the female soul."
  • I've been mulling over friendships a lot recently. This wonderful piece really struck a cord for me. Despite me not being single, I'm finding that the older I get and the longer I'm in a committed relationship, the more I want and need the love and support and total utter LOLZ of my circle.
  • If you have any interest in yourself, your emotions, psychology, therapy, the mind (if you said no to any of those then we may need to talk), then you should start following Hove Therapist STAT. In 2016 I seriously question any professionals who don't have an internet presence. In this case, ideas and research about all of the above are shared and explored, making therapy not only accessible, but relatable to our everyday life. I'm sure many people could use this helpful guide to knowing if therapy might be for you.
  • Grace over at Design Sponge shared her favourite instagrammers over 40. I think this is a really important subject on social media. I love Instagram. I love Pinterest. Yet I am so often EXHAUSTED by the overwhelming youth and white middle class-ness of it all. I particularly love Chinatown Pretty'Celebrating the street style of seniors living (and grocery shopping) in SF Chinatown.'

  • Even in 1989 Nora Ephron knew what was up with Donald Trump.
  • Sorry, not sorry. Jk, I'm British, I'm always sorry! 'The British are famous for how frequently they say ‘sorry’ – even when they’re not at fault. But does the data hold up this stereotype? And is apologising so often really that bad?'
  • Meanwhile, offline... I watched Giles Coren, My Failed Novel. It was mostly middle upper class white men discussing their writing process (I would LOVE a version made entirely with women to see what that experience is like) but it was pretty insightful. Also Togetherness S2E2 which totally made me lol in the final scene. Wrapped in RainbowsThe Life of Zora Neale Hurston is the second book club book and I'm captivated 200 pages in. This weeks episode of Note To Self was funny and sweet and NSFW. Go listen, and let me know if you download the suggested app and how that goes for you...

'Til next week, lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment