Monday

Imperfection




im·per·fec·tion/ˌimpərˈfekSHən/

Noun:
  1. A fault, blemish, or undesirable feature.
  2. The state of being faulty or incomplete.


I took this photograph last week of the roses I'd gathered from the garden. Last night I uploaded it, and stared at it for a while. It was really bugging me. See that tiny brownish spot on the petal on the right? It's all I could see. The pink was perfect sure, the petals look so soft with perfect ruffled edges yes, BUT THAT BROWN SPOT IS THERE AND IT WON'T STOP LOOKING AT ME.

I stopped what I was doing and got on to something else. I came back to it today, and still, there it was. 

Inner monologe:
'Maybe I'll keep the photo, call it something like perfect imperfection. Haha, how clever of me.'

And then I started thinking about imperfection. When those flowers were in that vase, full of life and cheering up that corner of the house everyday, I didn't notice that tiny brown spot one bit. I kept them there until the petals fell to the floor and they were just dead stems, ready to be thrown out. 

I sit at this computer and every image I upload I study them and seek out the things that I deem imperfect, and go about erasing it. I'm conscious of trying not to do too much, but I do it nonetheless. And why? Because I'm so used to seeing perfect, unblemished images all the time? Maybe. Because I'm just a bit of a perfectionist in general? Perhaps. Whatever the reason, time to stop.

That little brown spot isn't a fault, blemish or undesirable feature. It doesn't make the rose faulty or incomplete. It's just nature taking it's course. And that's pretty perfect, isn't it?


3 comments:

  1. I'm just ever so glad that you're blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this picture is amazing and far from imperfection.

    But I am a perfectionist and have been known to spend hours rearranging things till they are just right. It's amazing though how it just affects certain things.

    But maybe I will try to stop too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I do this too! With everything! The best things are always imperfect though... perfection is overrated. i think the brown spot brings out the pink a little more :)

    ReplyDelete